It is currently February 23rd, 2020, 10:19 am Advanced search

GTA IV 100%

Gaming discussions, reviews, and news.

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 30th, 2009, 12:05 pm

Pristine wrote:
BestInShowBrian wrote:So the trick is to partner up with a friend (or anonymous “experts” through that thread) and have that friend bite the bullet to lose all the races and “encourage” all the other mission losses (suicides, etc.) so that the AWP-chaser gets everything in that one run.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I was talking about. I'd be willing to help with that, but the first one sounds fucking brutal. And it's not worth it to get one if you can't get all for the platinum. I'm sure that's pretty frustrating. I'm all for challenging trophies, but I think they went a little too far with some of them in this game...

I've almost talked myself into going for the 2x10-hour-sittings AWP trophy, then filling in the blanks of the 8 "lesser" multiplayers I don't get during that run, and approaching that final ass-blasting "Wanted" trophy off-and-on over the next year or so (maybe spinning my wheels on it as a palate cleanser "between games" for a while).

But I checked your GTA4 trophies, and it seems clear you're not going for the platinum. It makes me think that you're not really interested in the trophy itself and would be doing it entirely for my benefit. That's just too big of a hoop to ask someone to jump through, so if I do end up making the run, it should be easy enough to find someone who wants it as badly as I do. It's a kind offer though, thanks.
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 30th, 2009, 12:18 pm

vealchop wrote:with all the games out there right now, why would you do all that multiplayer?

Because I'm broken.

A "completionist" at heart, I have a compulsion to suck the life out of every game I get my hands on (which is why I try to be choosy about the games I play), and the temptation of the statement behind a Platinum is just too much for me too pass up. There's typically one or two in front of a Platinum chase that's asking just a little too much, and I'm usually OK with that, as it can seperate the wheat from the chaff (assignment being a matter of perspective). But this is the first time I'm seriously considering flaking. Having already "paid my dues" with two pretty obnoxious ones (100% completion & speedrun), it's downright cruel of them to demand another 120 hours of the most boring, repetivitive, multiplayer grinding for the Platinum.

jerks
BestInShowBrian

Postby Pristine » July 30th, 2009, 12:36 pm

vealchop wrote:with all the games out there right now, why would you do all that multiplayer?

I'm closing in on 1000 trophies. when I hit it I think I'm throwing in the towel as far as hunting goes. I'm beginning to play games for the sole purpose of getting trophies and thats not what it should be about.

You know, it's funny, I had every intention of doing that when I got my PS3 repaired, to make up for lost months. I certainly did tear through a few games for platinums (4 I think), but I just got stuck with Skate 2 and The Show 09. I don't know when I decided the quest for trophies had to take a backseat, but I'm glad it did, I can't remember the last time I've gotten this many hours of enjoyment out of a single game, but I think it's safe to say that it hasn't happened in years.

The 2 games that did it blow my mind though, I'd expect something like that to happen with an RPG, or maybe an online shooter or something.... Definitely not 2 sports games (one could argue that Skate 2 isn't one). I'm about to force myself to move on though, I'm gonna finally send Killzone 2 back, and start on Infamous. Maybe it'll get me moving again, though I doubt I can catch up to people on my friend list at this point. It's ok though, I feel like I proved myself early on. At least that's what I'll tell myself to keep calm.
Pristine

Postby vealchop » July 30th, 2009, 1:16 pm

there just comes a point where you think theres gonna be some kind of payoff... you hear the sound of getting the platinum trophy... you're psyked, then you look around and you're alone in front of a PS3 at 1AM on a saturday night. No one is going to send you a congrats letter, Kaz isn't going to personally thank you, the characters aren't going to come out of the screen and pat you on the back. Hearing that confirmation jingle used to be something that made me feel like I accomplished something, but more and more they're just reminders that this is getting old and I'm wasting so much free time doing this. I should be playing AAA titles or games that I genuinely WANT to play, not games that I read were easy trophy farms.

I actually can't wait to hit 1000 so I can just be done with this.
vealchop

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 30th, 2009, 1:44 pm

But after I make a post bragging about it in here, everyone respects me more.
BestInShowBrian

Postby Pristine » July 30th, 2009, 2:09 pm

vealchop wrote:there just comes a point where you think theres gonna be some kind of payoff... you hear the sound of getting the platinum trophy... you're psyked, then you look around and you're alone in front of a PS3 at 1AM on a saturday night. No one is going to send you a congrats letter, Kaz isn't going to personally thank you, the characters aren't going to come out of the screen and pat you on the back. Hearing that confirmation jingle used to be something that made me feel like I accomplished something, but more and more they're just reminders that this is getting old and I'm wasting so much free time doing this. I should be playing AAA titles or games that I genuinely WANT to play, not games that I read were easy trophy farms.

I actually can't wait to hit 1000 so I can just be done with this.

I hear that shit. It was a race for me at some point, with everyone on my PSN list, but I realized from the beginning that the race would never end, and eventually I would need to take a break. Who knew I'd be forced to....

As much as I don't like to admit it, while I didn't play anything that I would not otherwise have played (that I can recall), trophies changed the way I played my games for a while. Sometimes for the better, by prolonging the experience, but other times I feel like it kind of cheapened the experience, and maybe even made it shorter by letting me achieve goals, then drop the game without doing shit I might otherwise have done. There are definitely games I would've already played had they supported trophies, such as Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles. I'm about to buckle on Valkyria, I don't think the trophy support is ever coming and the game just seems so awesome.

On the whole I'm happy they're there though, if anything just to see what other people are up to, and how well they perform at certain titles. And I'm sure my thirst for platinums will return, as soon as I'm done playing out The Show and Skate 2. But all that shit goes out the window when FFXIV comes out next year. You can say goodbye to me for a few months when that happens.
Pristine

Postby Pristine » July 30th, 2009, 2:10 pm

BestInShowBrian wrote:But after I make a post bragging about it in here, everyone respects me more.

Yes, we all have so much respect for each other at this point, don't we.
Pristine

Postby BestInShowBrian » March 25th, 2010, 12:01 am

Outstanding game journalism is so rare that when you discover an example of it, it's that much more of a pleasure to read, even when the content is uncomfortable:

Video Games: The Addiction Tom Bissell was an acclaimed, prize-winning young writer. Then he started playing the video game Grand Theft Auto. For three years he has been cocaine addicted, sleep deprived and barely able to write a word. Any regrets? Absolutely none

"I know how I will spend the late, frayed moments before I go to sleep tonight, because they are how I spent last night and the night before that: walking the perimeter of my empty bed and carpet-bombing the equally empty bedroom with promises that tomorrow will not be squandered. I will fall asleep in a futureless, strangely peaceful panic, not really knowing what I will do the next morning and having no firm memory of who, or what, I once was."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2010/mar/21/tom-bissell-video-game-cocaine-addiction

It's a long one, but it's particularly uncompromising and insightfull, especially for fans of the GTA series, and GTA4 specifically.

"There are times when I think GTA IV is the most colossal creative achievement of the last 25 years, times when I think of it as an unsurpassable example of what games can do, and times when I think of it as misguided and a failure. No matter what I think about GTA IV, or however I am currently regarding it, my throat gets a little drier, my head a little heavier, and I know I am also thinking about cocaine."
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » April 12th, 2010, 5:54 pm

"Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City" comes out tomorrow for the PS3. It's essentially the expansion packs "The Lost and Damned" & "The Ballad of Gay Tony" that came out for the PC and Xbox360 months (years?) ago. GTA4 was so good, that I'm tempted to by into anything that expands it, but has anyone here played them that can offer some insight? Is it worth the $40 they're asking for the PS3 package?
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 24th, 2010, 12:57 pm

In the Bands/Music forum, Pristine wrote:I've been playing GTA IV again.

If you find yourself in multiplayer let me know. I never touched that part of it, and they're the only trophies I need for the platinum, so I'd totally load that badboy up again.
BestInShowBrian

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games