It is currently January 26th, 2020, 2:27 pm Advanced search

Pickles

Eat It. Then Post About It

Re: Pickles

Postby Keith_Fu » May 29th, 2010, 1:15 pm

this is for you, kid:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/max-watma ... 47251.html

"...2.5 ounces of bourbon over ice in a jelly jar, measured in 3 teaspoons of McClure's spicy brine, and gave the drink a short stir."

I personally do not have the intestinal fortitude for such concoctions (but you don't either, although that doesn't stop you)
Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby BestInShowBrian » May 29th, 2010, 5:31 pm

How have I never thought of The Pickleback (shot of whiskey followed by a shot of pickle brine) before?! I knew I was saving all those jars of brine for something.

Max Watman wrote:I brought home a bottle of McClure's Spicy Dills last week, and my first thought was that despite the pedigree -- they are often mentioned as the brine used at the Bushwick Country Club -- fancy, expensive pickles were contrary to how I felt about the pickleback. (After all, it's not as if I'm pulling down the bottle of Parker's Heritage for this tipple.) But there is no denying that McClure's pickles are astonishingly good. The flavor is complex and layered, forward and intense.

Great fucking pickles.
BestInShowBrian

Postby Keith_Fu » July 28th, 2010, 3:18 pm

Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 28th, 2010, 3:49 pm

I've actually done the quick (known on The Circuit as "fresh-pack") pickle before, but it's just not the pickle I'm looking for. In short, it ends up tasting too much like the vegetable and not enough like the "brine" (in this case it's more of a marinade really; sorry if I'm nitpickling). I'll probably end up soon trying my hands at cranking out some "refrigerator pickles" (prepared similar to the fresh-pack, but marinated in the fridge for alot longer), but after trying someone else's, I'll probably be about as impressed as I was with the fresh-pack (read: not very).

But I'm really looking forward to working on a true fermented pickle. I'm hoping after a dozen or so batches, I'll have tweaked all the flavor components to my advantage, allowing me to finally consume a perfect pickle. A man's got to have goals.
BestInShowBrian

Postby Keith_Fu » October 17th, 2010, 1:38 pm

http://www.lowereastsideny.com/pickleday2010/index.html

if you love pickles leave your house right now. you only have 3 more hours
Keith_Fu

Previous

Return to Food Is Good