It is currently January 23rd, 2020, 10:17 am Advanced search

A Serious Man

Television and Movies worth watching.

A Serious Man

Postby bunnyknuckles » July 30th, 2009, 3:05 am

New Coen Brothers.... I can't stop watching this.

bunnyknuckles

Re: A Serious Man

Postby DJNewStyle » July 30th, 2009, 10:10 am

That was awesome. I'm fucking psyched.
DJNewStyle

Postby Keith_Fu » July 30th, 2009, 10:13 am

nice
Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby vealchop » October 12th, 2009, 9:50 am

WORST. MOVIE. OF. THE. YEAR.

There was nothing, NOTHING, enjoyable about this movie. Fucking boring bullshit. No story, no acting, no humor, no drama, no character. Just a pile of meh.

I nearly walked out of the theater and I've done that maybe twice in my life.
vealchop

Postby Keith_Fu » October 12th, 2009, 10:27 am

wow, really? that's a really strong reaction- haven't seen it yet but that does not bode well...
Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby vealchop » October 12th, 2009, 11:41 am

it was so bad I actually had to see another movie a few hours later to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
vealchop

Postby EricRyan » May 18th, 2010, 8:18 pm

I finally saw it and didn't have the same reaction as Vealchop. I would give it 3 out of 5.
EricRyan

Postby vealchop » May 18th, 2010, 10:09 pm

three things that were good about this flick..... go.
vealchop

Postby EricRyan » May 19th, 2010, 5:27 pm

vealchop wrote:three things that were good about this flick..... go.

hahahah, I don't think it should have been nominated for best picture. It's not a movie I would purchase. I did find certain things about it enjoyable enough to take a couple hours out of my life to watch it. One of thoughs things was the music direction, another was the main character, I thought he was great. I liked every seen where the son runs home from school from the fat kid who wanted to pound him. I liked the Santana Abraxas phone scene. Again, it's not something I'm going to tell the world to watch, nor will I buy it.It was worth a watch.
EricRyan

Postby Keith_Fu » July 20th, 2010, 10:49 am

Finally got around to seeing this last night. I liked it- a lot.

The reason is that the Coens' made this movie entirely around a highly abstract concept- the uncertainty paradox and Quantum superposition (i.e. the Schrodinger's cat paradox) and that the entire film is designed with single purpose to set up the final reveal.

It's a lot like the Coens' "The Man Who Wasn't There", which took the entire movie to explain what the man was by painting him in negatives (he wasn't an adulterer, wasn't a criminal, wasn't an enthusiast, etc, etc), until at the end there wasn't anything left for him to be except a non-entity. It's a really heady concept and if you go into it expecting a more conventional Coen Bros comedy or drama you are going to be disappointed and confused.

And so "A Serious Man" ***SPOILER WARNING*** was all about setting up a near infinite number of possibilities that the direction of movie could go into, like an immense house of cards, and at the very end knocks one of the first cards out from the bottom the deck to show how it collapses into one state. The entire movie is about Gopnik refusing to make any definitive choice whatsoever, and constantly proclaiming that he hasn't done anything. Only when he finally makes the choice to change the Korean student's grade he opens the box containing Schrodinger's cat, and his fate is decided.

Yes, when the Coens make this kind of movie it can be frustrating and tedious to wait for them to stand up the pieces, and because of that I completely understand growing bored and angry at the film. I myself had to fight the urge to turn this off about 15 minutes in because the pacing is glacial and the direction the film is going is seemingly nowhere. But once you start to see the house of cards they are building the curiosity about how they are going to knock it down grows. I like moves that surprise me and make me think even if it makes me bear with the rough edges, and this one delivers.
Keith_Fu

Next

Return to TV/Movies