It is currently June 4th, 2020, 12:27 pm Advanced search

GTA IV 100%

Gaming discussions, reviews, and news.

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby DJNewStyle » July 17th, 2009, 10:34 am

I have never finished a GTA game. It's kind of sad, but I lose interest and just start playing for the violence.
DJNewStyle

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 17th, 2009, 12:29 pm

vealchop wrote:and how awesome was the "back in the new york groove" ending song, they really picked perfect music for this game. It made it feel like the ending to a really long film.

The music throughout struck a perfect chord with the game (even the original music, like the theme song, was great - I've had that one bouncing around my skull incesantly since I started playing). I sat through the entire credit sequence (holy shit there are alot of great voice actors) riveted by what song they were going to pick next (it was long enough to play maybe 6 songs in full).

From past games, I totally expected their in-game radio stations to be incredible, and they have somehow once again one-upped themselves in this game. The DJs were especially great, and this is where they planted all their "big-name" celebrities. I found myself gravitating to "Liberty Rock Radio" (their classic rock station), if only to hear the scorching anti-yuppie vitrol that Iggy Pop would inflict on his listeners between every song ("only cunts live in condos"). And I was seriously psyched to hear him roll into the opening drums of Genesis's "Mama" (dude, everytime he played "Goodbye Horses" I had to stop whatever I was doing and "crank it up"; and I thought I hated the Black Crowes, but he somehow made "Remedy" sound great). I didn't realize until the credits that Juliette Lewis was the DJ for "Radio Broker" (Broker is the game's Brooklyn, so this was the "indie" station, and listening to her constantly brutalizing Williamsburg made me wonder how much quality time she's been spending with Keith), and they even let her play one of her band's songs (that "I rage inside a cage" song). And maybe my favorite was the "robot" DJ for the new age station "The Journey". Her rambling hit the mark somewhere in the haze between "weed talk" and "subconscious brainwashing". And that Tangerine Dream song from the "Risky Business" movie was the perfect driving music for my zen-like preparation as I drove to the next sociopathic act I was planning to perform. Holy shit, DJ Premier was the DJ for "The Classics", juggling and tearing up a perfect mix of old-school hip-hop! And they got fucking Femi Kuti to do the afro-beat/funk station!!! I have to admit to playing the "electronic" station alot as well, and even their "crap" (Fusion, Disco, Dancehall, Eastern Euopean pop, etc.) was great. And I'm not even scratching the surface of the comedic-goldmine available in their talk radio productions (featuring tons of talent well-known in these circles, ex: Fez).

Great audiowork, all around. Just superb writing.
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 17th, 2009, 12:30 pm

vealchop wrote:30 hours of RL actual "game is in play" time, not a constant running clock in either the game or RL.

That's sounds like what I was hoping for. Honestly, it still sounds pretty fucking hard.
BestInShowBrian

Postby Pristine » July 17th, 2009, 1:39 pm

BestInShowBrian wrote:But the real brilliance of this game is in the city itself. From beginning to end, it comes across as a grotesquely beautiful love story to New York. The attention to detail, from the smallest piece of street-litter to the most grandiose architectural vulgarity, intermingles with their brilliant (and at times even subtle) application of satire, to capture the essence of this city with almost pinpoint accuracy. It's really eerie when I find myself roaming into a part of town that I haven't been to yet (a testament to its sheer size and depth is that even now that I've "finished the game", this still happens), and I instantly know the precise real-world city location they are mimicking, often going on nothing more substantial than a "gut feeling”, and when I look over my shoulder in a half-joking attempt to "notice" the before unnoticed landmark that I've driven by in real life countless times over the years, I get goosebumps.

I've spent hours letting cabs drive (in cinematic mode or whatever it's called) me around the Liberty City to different destinations just to admire the city itself. It seriously blew my mind.
Pristine

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 22nd, 2009, 6:41 pm

100%: That was no joke!

I've got a couple of "easy" trophies to clean up before I decide to go for the "30 hours" trophy, then onto the platinum, or just give it up now. Honestly, I'll be kind of sad to see the game go, so I might just have to take that platinum.
BestInShowBrian

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 28th, 2009, 3:19 pm

Snagged with a 13 hour completion. Take taxis everywhere and pay extra to skip the ride + skip cutscenes, and it's actually pretty simple. I probably could have clocked in faster, but I made all the "opposite" decisions I made the first time, and wanted to see/hear all the changes.

I've only got multiplayer trophies left for the platinum, and I'm on the fence about chasing them. I really hate multiplayer, plus I undertand that "highest multiplayer rank" trophy consumes about 100 hours.

Fucking multiplayer trophies.
BestInShowBrian

Postby Pristine » July 28th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Congrats! Let me know if you need help with the multiplayer. I haven't really examined the trophies, but there are probably shortcuts to be found if one has a partner. I got a crapload of Warhawk trophies in a day or so doing that. I'll take a look at the trophy list when I get home tonight and see if there is anything that could be gotten around easily.
Pristine

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 30th, 2009, 1:46 am

Pristine wrote:Congrats! Let me know if you need help with the multiplayer. I haven't really examined the trophies, but there are probably shortcuts to be found if one has a partner. I got a crapload of Warhawk trophies in a day or so doing that. I'll take a look at the trophy list when I get home tonight and see if there is anything that could be gotten around easily.

I don’t know man, I'm starting to think I'm not down for the multiplayer trophies. There are 2 amongst the 10 that look pretty tricky. That "Wanted" one (get to the highest multiplayer level) seems to be the most elusive. As described in this thread:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=522875
you basically have to get $5 Million, and the quickest way to do it is with the multiplayer mission "Hangman's Noose" which yields $4,500 with each "high difficulty" win. So that means you've got to win that thing 1,112 times, and these guys seem to have become veritable experts at the process (now called "Noosing") and suggest that if you're working with skilled Noosers, with cut scene & loading times, each run clocks in at about 4 minutes (minimum). That translates to over 74 hours of Noosing, AT LEAST (working quickly and wining every one).

Then there's the AWP trophy, described here:
http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=gta&thread.id=505051
Which apparently has some sort of PS3-specific server bugs (bad synchronization between servers resulting in “won” missions not registering correctly), and the only way to confidently do it is all in one sitting (with a really stable internet connection, and never getting kicked off of PSN). So the trick is to partner up with a friend (or anonymous “experts” through that thread) and have that friend bite the bullet to lose all the races and “encourage” all the other mission losses (suicides, etc.) so that the AWP-chaser gets everything in that one run. Done most efficiently (with the seasoned AWPers), that takes at least 10 hours per person. So that’s 10 straight hours of online gaming, with all wins, and no errors. And that’s just to hook up the first AWPer. After that, you switch seats and bite the bullet for a second 10-hour session while the other guy chases the trophy.

And then there are still the other 8 trophies. I mean I guess if I even remotely enjoyed multiplayer I’d consider it, but I’m having a hard time justifying spending that much time on something I despise (other than my radio show). I’m not one to typically shirk from the prospect of some obnoxiously tedious videogame chores, but there’s got to be a limit, right? On the other hand, I’m having a really hard time coming to terms with not getting that platinum trophy (especially with such a great fucking game).
BestInShowBrian

Postby Pristine » July 30th, 2009, 2:04 am

BestInShowBrian wrote:So the trick is to partner up with a friend (or anonymous “experts” through that thread) and have that friend bite the bullet to lose all the races and “encourage” all the other mission losses (suicides, etc.) so that the AWP-chaser gets everything in that one run. Done most efficiently (with the seasoned AWPers), that takes at least 10 hours per person. So that’s 10 straight hours of online gaming, with all wins, and no errors. And that’s just to hook up the first AWPer. After that, you switch seats and bite the bullet for a second 10-hour session while the other guy chases the trophy.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I was talking about. I'd be willing to help with that, but the first one sounds fucking brutal. And it's not worth it to get one if you can't get all for the platinum. I'm sure that's pretty frustrating. I'm all for challenging trophies, but I think they went a little too far with some of them in this game...
Pristine

Postby vealchop » July 30th, 2009, 10:57 am

with all the games out there right now, why would you do all that multiplayer?

I'm closing in on 1000 trophies. when I hit it I think I'm throwing in the towel as far as hunting goes. I'm beginning to play games for the sole purpose of getting trophies and thats not what it should be about.
vealchop

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games