It is currently July 7th, 2020, 1:59 pm Advanced search

GTA IV 100%

Gaming discussions, reviews, and news.

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby Pristine » October 24th, 2008, 6:46 pm

BestInShowBrian wrote:This makes it official:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/24/grand-theft-auto-iv-ps-3-trophies-this-monday/

Still no official word if they will (probably not) be retroactive?


Unfortunately they won't be
User avatar
Pristine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: June 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 4th, 2009, 4:33 am

I'm finally playing through this thing, and it's a fucking blast. It's insanely huge, and I'm pretty sure a platinum trophy, though not impossible, might actually be unreasonable. I hope I can truly convince myself of that, because it's already going to take a shitload of time to get the "100% completion" trophy that I feel obligated to chase down.

Anyway, one of the friends you have to "babysit" to get him to like you enough to unlock his special ability (and further trophies), and then maintain his friendship throughout the game (that really is an irritating feature), is "Packie": the hard-drinking, oversleeping, fist-fighting, violence-fetishizing, bizzarly introspective and self-loathing Irish American stereotype, with some pretty severe family issues. Perhaps I'm taking this all a little too personally, but the shit that spills out of this delightfully endearing sociopath's mouth hits eerily close to home, especially when he's drunk.
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby Pristine » July 4th, 2009, 4:40 am

BestInShowBrian wrote:I'm finally playing through this thing, and it's a fucking blast. It's insanely huge, and I'm pretty sure a platinum trophy, though not impossible, might actually be unreasonable. I hope I can truly convince myself of that, because it's already going to take a shitload of time to get the "100% completion" trophy that I feel obligated to chase down.

Anyway, one of the friends you have to "babysit" to get him to like you enough to unlock his special ability (and further trophies), and then maintain his friendship throughout the game (that really is an irritating feature), is "Packie": the hard-drinking, oversleeping, fist-fighting, violence-fetishizing, bizzarly introspective and self-loathing Irish American stereotype, with some pretty severe family issues. Perhaps I'm taking this all a little too personally, but the shit that spills out of this delightfully endearing sociopath's mouth hits eerily close to home, especially when he's drunk.


There really is nothing like the 4am gaming. MLB The Show here.

Yeah, I think the toughest trophy in that game is the one where you have to kill a Rockstar member online. It may be hard to find them at this point, but who knows. I know I've seen people with it, so it isn't impossible.
User avatar
Pristine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: June 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 4th, 2009, 4:45 am

Pristine wrote:There really is nothing like the 4am gaming.


RIGHT?!

Check that recent ICO thread; I'm thinking Keith is about 2 days away from joining our ranks (if only temporarily).
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby Pristine » July 4th, 2009, 4:51 am

BestInShowBrian wrote:
Pristine wrote:There really is nothing like the 4am gaming.


RIGHT?!

Check that recent ICO thread; I'm thinking Keith is about 2 days away from joining our ranks (if only temporarily).


Absolutely, good shit. I've actually got a little something for that thread....
User avatar
Pristine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: June 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby vealchop » July 5th, 2009, 10:07 pm

that kill a rockstar trophy is actually a viral trophy. Meaning you could get the trophy by killing a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a rockstar employee and get the trophy. At this point you'll probably get it when you get your first kill in multiplayer.
Image
User avatar
vealchop
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: March 31st, 2008, 12:16 am
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby Pristine » July 5th, 2009, 10:32 pm

vealchop wrote:that kill a rockstar trophy is actually a viral trophy. Meaning you could get the trophy by killing a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a person who killed a rockstar employee and get the trophy. At this point you'll probably get it when you get your first kill in multiplayer.


Oh, cool I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up!
User avatar
Pristine
 
Posts: 877
Joined: June 1st, 2008, 5:31 pm

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby BestInShowBrian » July 17th, 2009, 2:20 am

I finished off the story to this game early this morning, and in retrospect I feel compelled to gush over what a brilliantly detailed work of art this is. The gameplay was ecstatically good: I complained early on about all the "chores" they make you do, but maybe 1/3rd of the way into the game I unlocked the "special abilities" of all my friends, and felt less compelled to "babysit" them through the rest of the process. That coupled with the fact that I found a way to "ignore them" without much game retribution (accept their offers for “dates”, and then immediately call them back to cancel), allowed me to settle into a more natural-feeling pace, and from that point forward gameplay was almost flawless. The story had amazing depth and complexity and even had some "important" things to say, especially regarding the nature of modern immigrants to our country, particularly in this city.

But the real brilliance of this game is in the city itself. From beginning to end, it comes across as a grotesquely beautiful love story to New York. The attention to detail, from the smallest piece of street-litter to the most grandiose architectural vulgarity, intermingles with their brilliant (and at times even subtle) application of satire, to capture the essence of this city with almost pinpoint accuracy. It's really eerie when I find myself roaming into a part of town that I haven't been to yet (a testament to its sheer size and depth is that even now that I've "finished the game", this still happens), and I instantly know the precise real-world city location they are mimicking, often going on nothing more substantial than a "gut feeling”, and when I look over my shoulder in a half-joking attempt to "notice" the before unnoticed landmark that I've driven by in real life countless times over the years, I get goosebumps.

Even though I’ve “won the game”, I’m still only at about 84% completion, and I’ve got alot of other sidequests and “hidden” stuff to discover before I’m given the 100% completion rating that my OCD demands. I was actually kinda concerned that I wasn’t going to be able to get 100%. Basically, I’m a pretty staunch “anti-walkthrough” guy, and by the end of the game I had only found and killed maybe 5 of the 200 pigeons scattered all over the city that I’d need to purge. I honestly couldn’t imagine a way that I was going to successfully negotiate that, not to mention several other huge “hidden gems” chores, cheat-free, without having to play this game non-stop for the rest of the year (at least?) Luckily, at the end of the game, I checked my character’s fake email account and found a fake spam linking to a fake “conspiracy” website in their fake internet (holy shit their fake internet is huge!) that gives me helpful maps of all these things I’ve been obsessing about. In that way I’ve justified to myself that it’s not cheating (since they’re giving it to me “in-game”), and I’ll be able to power through these chores in a more manageable (yet still pretty lengthy) time period.

But even after that’s done, I’m probably still not even half way to a platinum trophy. The multiplayer trophies just seem like a pipe-dream to me at this point, as I really don’t want to play that much multiplayer, but I have to admit to being very compelled by the “finish the game in 30 hours” trophy that reflects the most obnoxious hurdle standing in my way of the platinum. I’m starting to come to terms with actually making a run at that, and am realizing that it will be a downright pleasure to play this game all over again a second time, immediately. But does anyone know what 30 hours means? I assume they mean Brian-time, because Nico-time must be impossible (an hour Nico-time burns by in about a Brian-minute), but is that sequential? I mean is that Brian-time or Real-time? Which is to say, do I get 30 hours of total gameplay to finish this thing (spread over as many days as I need it to), or do I have to stay up for 30 hours straight and try to knock it back?



TLDR: GTA4 IS FUCKING AWESOME!
User avatar
BestInShowBrian
 
Posts: 2076
Joined: April 14th, 2008, 11:44 am

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby vealchop » July 17th, 2009, 9:55 am

30 hours of RL actual "game is in play" time, not a constant running clock in either the game or RL.
Image
User avatar
vealchop
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: March 31st, 2008, 12:16 am
Location: Staten Island, NY

Re: GTA IV 100%

Postby vealchop » July 17th, 2009, 9:57 am

and how awesome was the "back in the new york groove" ending song, they really picked perfect music for this game. It made it feel like the ending to a really long film.
Image
User avatar
vealchop
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: March 31st, 2008, 12:16 am
Location: Staten Island, NY

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron