It is currently October 29th, 2020, 6:02 pm Advanced search

Best Female Fronted Band EVER

Music worth listening to.

Re: Best Female Fronted Band EVER

Postby BestinShowKeith » November 16th, 2009, 1:25 pm

BestInShowChris wrote:Eve's Plum (I know this is a personal one that no one will agree with)

No on will agree with??? Where do you think you are buddy?

Both their albums are great but this is my favorite song by them. The only video I could find was some homemade video someone put to David Lynch clips (yes, David Lynch even found his way into my Eve's Plum post):

BestinShowKeith

Postby Keith_Fu » November 16th, 2009, 1:50 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:
BestInShowChris wrote:Eve's Plum (I know this is a personal one that no one will agree with)

No on will agree with??? Where do you think you are buddy?

Both their albums are great but this is my favorite song by them. The only video I could find was some homemade video someone put to David Lynch clips (yes, David Lynch even found his way into my Eve's Plum post):

Wow- Keith nice find- and I was into that band ages ago. I saw them play a local (for me) upstate bar like 15 years ago, but since then I don't think I've heard those two words uttered in the same sentence.
Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby Caseyelan » November 16th, 2009, 3:03 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:Lush
Kate Bush
Velocity Girl
Judee Sill
Elastica
Spirogyra (not that jazz band that spells it a little differently)

I used to really like Belly and Juliana Hatfield a lot but I haven't listened to them in a long time.

Guess who I named my baby after?
Caseyelan

Postby BestInShowChris » November 16th, 2009, 4:20 pm

This thread has me listening to Liz Phair today for the first time in probably 15 years.
BestInShowChris

Postby Keith_Fu » November 16th, 2009, 5:12 pm

it made me dig out my Sleater-Kinney for the first time in years too, and got me catching up with their newer stuff. This video in particular caught my eye

Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Keith_Fu

Postby Keith_Fu » November 16th, 2009, 5:45 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:Elastica

this is old news, but I'm going to have to call them out

Keith_Fu

Postby BestInShowBrian » November 16th, 2009, 6:27 pm

A Kim Gordon-led Sonic Youth song:

...about this fatty:

It could be argued that Velvet Underground sounds just a little bit better when Nico's singing:

Kim Deal's been mentioned via Breeders, but it should be noted that on the rare occasions that Frank Black shut up, the Pixies did some of their best work:

Kim boots her twin sister from the Breeders for doing too much smack; enter the Kelly Deal 6000:

Not to be outdone, Kim cobbles together her side-project The Amps:

Bjork & P.J. Harvey are probably the two most "important" chick-90-spawns, but since they've already been noted I'll simply reiterate Pristine's suggestion at the importance of making P.J. Harvey's "Rid Of Me" LP a part of your life, if it's not already. That record's phenominal power is lightning in a bottle, never to be captured again. That said, I find myself compelled to metion Liz Phair's "Exile In Guyville" whenver I think of Harvey's opus:

Noisey all-girl-art-weirdos from Osaka, "OOIOO" might blow your mind, or just give you a headache:

BestInShowBrian

Postby BestinShowKeith » November 16th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Keith_Fu wrote:
BestinShowKeith wrote:Elastica

this is old news, but I'm going to have to call them out

Their response to being sued (and settling) for the two Wire ripoffs on the first album was to ripoff Kidney Bingos with Nothing Stays the Same on the second album. Scroll to 1:40 or so:

BestinShowKeith

Postby Keith_Fu » November 16th, 2009, 6:58 pm

BestinShowKeith wrote:
Their response to being sued (and settling) for the two Wire ripoffs on the first album was to ripoff Kidney Bingos with Nothing Stays the Same on the second album. Scroll to 1:40 or so:

what do you expect, they're chicks.

.....but seriously.... yeah, the entire history of Pop is built on the backs of less good looking people.
Keith_Fu

Postby Caseyelan » November 16th, 2009, 7:08 pm

Keith_Fu wrote:
BestinShowKeith wrote:

what do you expect, they're chicks.

.....but seriously.... yeah, the entire history of Pop is built on the backs of less good looking people.

fucking crazytown. Anytime I had heard those wire songs I never fucking put it together I was really singing elastica songs in my head. I never made the connection...... THE CONNECTION.... oh man, richness.

Also, on the liz phair tip:

Lyrically.... one of the bestest ever.

Here's a few others I was humming today:

Caseyelan

PreviousNext

Return to Bands/Music